Sunday 20 March 2022

Sequence of Verb Tenses Examples

The rules of the sequence of tenses are mainly observed in subordinate object clauses. 

If the verb in the principal clause is in one of the present or future tenses the verb in the subordinate object clause may be in any tense required by the sense (See dialogues 1-4)

After the past tense forms in the principal clause we find relative use of tense forms in the subordinate object clause. Here two cases are possible:

  1. the rules of the sequence of tenses are compulsory; 
  2. the rules of the sequence of tenses are optional (see this article). 

The rules of the sequence of tenses are compulsory when the action of the subordinate object clause is viewed from the past. 

  • a) If the action of the object clause is simultaneous with that of the principal clause the Past Indefinite or the Past Continuous is used in the object clause no matter which past tense form is found in the principal clause (Dialogues 5, 6)
  • b) If the action of the object clause precedes that of the principal clause the Past Perfect or Past Perfect Continuous is used in the object clause no matter which past tense form is found in the principal clause (Dialogues 7, 8)
  • c) If the action of the object clause follows the action of the principal clause the Future-in-the-Past (Indefinite or Continuous) or one of the other means of expressing future actions viewed from the past is used (Dialogue 9)

Take a look at the following examples. The verbs in the principal clause are cursieved. The verbs in the subordinate part of the sentence are underlined. 

Present or Future Tense Forms in the Principal Clause

The verb in the sub clause is in the tense required by the sense. 

1. Julia Lambert, a famous actress, is talking to her son who has just left Eton. 

Julia: Have you made up your mind what you’re going to be yet? 

Roger: No. Is there any hurry? 

Julia: You know how ignorant I am about everything. Your father says that is you’re going to be a barrister you ought to work at law when you go to Cambridge. On the other hand, if you fancy the Foreign Office you should take up modern languages. 

(W. S. Maugham. Theatre)

2. Fleming has just come from the USA. He has been invited to a dinner party by his English friends. 

Fleming: Aren’t you an American, Mr Clay? 

Clay: I won’t deny that I was born in Virginia. 

Fleming: I beg your pardon, I thought from the way you spoke… 

Clay (interrupting): But, of course, my home is London. 

Pearl: Nonsense, Thornton, your home is wherever there’s a first-class hotel. 

Clay: I went to America seven years ago. My father died and I had to go and settle up his affairs. Everyone took me for an Englishman. 

Fleming: That must have gratified you very much, Mr Clay. 

Clay: Of course, I haven’t a trace of an American accent. I suppose that was the reason. And then my clothes. 

(W. S. Maugham. Our Betters)

3. Mr Smeeth suspects his son of selling stolen car. 

Mr Smeeth: … Why didn’t you tell me? Have to have a police sergeant telling me what’s happening to my own son! 

George: Well, you needn’t go at me, Dad. I’ve done nothing, and they’ll tell you I haven’t

(I. B. Priestley. Angel Pavement)

4. Passing by the Iseeum Club in Piccadilly Soames Forsyte remembers that his cousin George Forsyte, a member of the Club, was said to be ill. He decides to drop in to find out the real state of things. 

Soames Forsyte: Mr George forsyte in the Club? 

The janitor: Mr Forsyte, sir, is very ill indeed. They say he won’t recover (will not recover), sir. 

Soames Forsyte: What! Nobody told me that. 

The janitor: He’s very bad - very bad indeed. It’s the heart. 

Soames Forsyte: The heart! Where is he? 

The janitor: At his rooms, sir; just round the corner. They say the doctors have given him up. He will be missed here. 

(J. Galsworthy. The White Monkey) 

Past Tense Forms in the Principal Clauses

Take a look at these examples. The action of the subordinate object clause is viewed from the past. The rules of the sequence of tense are compulsory.

Dialogs 5, 6: the action of the object clause is simultaneous with the action of the main clause. 

5. Mr Ernest Worthing has just driven over from the station. 

Merriman: Mr Ernest Worthing has just driven over from the station. …

Cecily: … Uncle Jack’s brother! Did you tell him Mr Worthing was in town? 

Merriman: Yes, Miss. … I mentioned that you and Miss Prism were in the garden. He said he was anxious to speak to you privately for a moment.

(O. Wilde. The Importance of Being Earnest)

6. Margo put up Mike to telephoning to Nigel, her husband. They have been pulling his leg. Mike has telephoned Nigel and now gives an account of his telephone talk to Margo. 

Margo: What did Nigel say? 

Mike: He was out. 

Margo: Was there no reply? 

Mike: A woman answered. She said I was interrupting the meeting. I said: “What meeting?” but she wanted to know who I was before she would answer that. I said I was the Ministry of Pensions and she said “Oh me God” and rang off. 

(W. Trevor. The day We Got Drunk on Cake)

Dialogues 7, 8: the action of the object clause precedes the action of the main clause. Past Perfect forms are used in the object clause.

 
7. Bertie and his servant Jeeves are boating in the rain to the island in the middle of the lake to save Mr Filmer, the Cabinet Minister; his boat was set adrift.

Bertie: A little more to the right, Jeeves.

Jeeves: Very good, sir.

Bertie (making a neat landing): Wait here, Jeeves.

Jeeves: Very good, sir, the head gardener was informing me this morning, sir, that one of the swans had recently nested on this island.

Bertie: This is no time for natural history gossip, Jeeves.

Jeeves: Very good, sir.

(P. G. Wodehouse. Jeeves and the Impending Doom)


8. The paper carriers get together early in the morning to carry the fresh copies of the Chronicle to the subscribers.

Haggerty: Two cancellations. One for Blake, one for Harley.

Blake: Who canceled?

Haggerty: Eda Larouse.

Blake: I thought you said she had been taking the paper as long as you could remember.

Haggerty: She died.

Blake: When?

Haggerty: When you die it doesn’t matter when. You’re dead and your subscription to the Chronicle is automatically canceled.

(W. Saroyan. The Reader of  'The World Almanac' for 1944)

Dialogue 9. The action of the object clause follows the action of the principal clause: the Future-in-the-Past needed.

9. Miss Matfield complains of the poor bus service in London. She’s had a hard time getting to her office.

Miss Matfield: Good morning. Are we all very well this morning? Well, I’m not. O Lord! I thought I’d (I would) never get here. That bus journey gets fouler every morning, slower and slower and fouler and fouler.

Turgis: You ought to try the Tube.

Miss Matfield: Oh, I can’t bear the Tube.

(J. B. Priestley. Angel Pavement)