Sunday 6 March 2022

When NOT to Use Sequence of Tenses

The rules of the sequence of tenses are not observed in the following two cases: 

1) when the verb of the object clause expresses a universal truth or facts that hold true always (see dialogues 1, 2, 3);

2) when the modal verbs must, should, ought, need which have only one form the rules of the sequence of tenses are not observer either (dialogues 4, 5, 6). 

See how it was used by the great writers. 

Examples 

1. The author and John Howard are members of the same club in London. They are in the smoking-room. A boy bring them coffee. 

John Howard: It really is a most extraordinary thing that you can’t get a decent cup of coffee in this country. Even in a club like this they can’t make coffee. 

The author: A chap who deals in coffee once told me that grounds coffee won’t keep in our climate. It’s humidity, or something. John Howard: Ground coffee goes off in any climate. 

(N. Shute. Pied Piper) 

 

2. A group of boys find themselves on an uninhabited island after an air-crash. They choose Ralph their chief. Ralph takes the floor before the silent assembly. 

Ralph: Now we come to the most important thing. I’ve been thinking. I was thinking while we were climbing the mountain. … This is what I thought. … We want to be rescued… and of course we shall be rescued. My father’s in the navy. He said there aren’t any unknown islands left. He says the Queen has a big room full of maps and all the islands in the world are drawn there. So the Queen’s got a picture of this island. And sooner or later a ship will put in there. … There’s another thing. We can help them to find us. So we must make smoke on top of the mountain. We must make a fire. 

The other boys: A fire! Make a fire! 

Jack: Come on! Follow me! 

(W. Golding. Lord of the Flies) 

3. The boy is taken ill; it’s a light epidemic of flu; he worries about his temperature and thinks he is going to die because he doesn’t know the difference between the Fahrenheit and the Centigrade thermometers. 

The boy: About what time do you think I’m going to die? 

Father: What? … You aren’t going to die. What’s the matter with you? 

The boy: Oh, yes, I am. I heard him (the doctor) say a hundred and two.

Father: People don’t die with a fever of one hundred and two. That’ a silly way to talk. 

The boy: I know they do. At school in France the boys told me you can’t live with forty-four degrees. I’ve got a hundred and two. 

Father: … Poor old Schatz. It’s like miles and kilometres. You aren’t going to die. That’s a different thermometer. On that thermometer thirty-seven is normal. On this kind it’s ninety-eight. 

The boy: Are you sure? 

Father: Absolutely. It’s like miles and kilometres. You know, like how many kilometres we make when we do seventy miles on the car? 

The boy: Oh. 

(E. Hemingway. A Day’s Wait) 

4. The author and Miss Waterford, a writer, talk about Mrs Strickland and her parties. Mrs Strickland is a “lion-hunter” trying to get famous people - musicians, writers - as guests at her dinner parties.

The author: That was a very nice party. 

Miss Waterford: Did you think the food was good? I told her that if she wanted writers she must feed them well. 

The author: Admirable advice. But why does she want them? 

Miss Waterford: She finds them amusing. She wants to be in the movement. I fancy she’s rather simple, poor dear, and she thinks we’re all wonderful. 

(W. S. Maugham. The Moon and Sixpence) 

5. Julia Lambert, a famous actress, is to see a beginning actress act at Tom Fennel’s request. 

Julia: Am I late or were you early? 

Tom: They’re going to ring up sharp at eight. I hate getting to a play after it’s begun. 

Julia: What is the name of this actress we’re going to see to-night? 

Tom: Avice Crichton. I’m awfully anxious to know what you think about her. I think she’s a find. She knows you’re coming to-night. She’s frightfully nervous, but I told her she needn’t be. You know what these Sunday night plays are; scratch rehearsals and all that; I said you’d quite understand and you’d make allowances. 

(W. S. Maugham. Theatre) 

6. Matthew has given up smoking and is having a hard time now. 

Matthew: I think, Mamma, I would like an apple. 

Mrs Brodie: Just what I thought. I gave the boy the order this morning. You said you wanted fruit and I said that you should have it. 

Matthew: Thank you, Mamma! I don’t wish to smoke, and I’m told an apple destroys the craving. What need have I to smoke, anyway? It doesn’t do me any good. 

Mrs Brodie: Matt, it does my heart good to hear you say that. It’s worth more to me than anything on this earth. I’m happy. 

(A. Cronin. Hatter’s Castle)