Monday 7 October 2019

Past Simple (or Past Indefinite) in Proverbs Examples and Worksheet

Three exercises on Past Simple (past indefinite) based on proverbs, common sayings and quotations.

Exercise 1
Read these proverbs and quotations. Memorize them. Comment on the use of the Past Simple Tense. Point out regular and irregular verbs (underlined) giving three forms (the root form/Present, Past and Past Participle) of the latter.
  1. The pot called the kettle black.
  2. When Queen Anne was alive.
  3. Since Adam was a boy.
  4. The report of my death was an exaggeration. (M. Twain) 
  5. The golden age was never the present age.
  6. Rules were meant to be broken.
  7. When I lent I had a friend; when I asked he was unkind.
  8. Faint heart never won fair lady.
  9. Curiosity killed a cat.
  10. I came, I saw, I conquered. (J. Caesar) 
  11. Too much curiosity lost Paradise.
  12. A little bird told me.
  13. He who pleased everybody died before he was born.
  14. He who never climbed never fell.
  15. His tongue failed him.
  16. His speech flowed from his tongue sweeter than honey. (Homer) 
  17. I was never less alone than when by myself. (E. Gibbon)
Exercise 2
Fill in blank spaces of the following proverbs, common sayings and idiomatic phrases with the verbs in the Past Simple Tense given in brackets at the end.
  1. He who never …, never … . (to climb, to fall)
  2. Rome … built in a day. (not to be)
  3. Since Adam … a boy. (to be)
  4. His tongue … him. (to fail)
  5. Faint heart never … fair lady. (to win)
  6. When Queen Anne … alive. (to be)
  7. When you … just a twinkle in your father’s eye. (to be)
  8. A little bird … me. (to tell)
  9. He who … everybody … before he was born. (to please, to die)
  10. Curiosity … a cat. (to kill)
  11. Like the cat that … the cream. (to steal)
  12. Just what the doctor … .(to order)
Exercise 3
Complete the following proverbs, quotations and sayings. Use the Past Simple Tense. Consult the reference list below.

  1. I came, I saw, I … . (J. Caesar) 
  2. Curiosity … .
  3. He who pleased everybody … .
  4. The pot … .
  5. When Queen Anne … .
  6. Since Adam … .
  7. When I lent I had a friend; when … .
  8. The golden age … .
  9. Faint heart never … .
  10. He who never climbed never … .
  11. What the doctor… . 
  12. The report of my death… .
(1. conquered; 2. killed a cat; 3. died before he was born; 4. called the kettle black; 5. was alive; 6. was a boy; 7. I asked he was unkind; 8. was never the present age; 9. won fair lady; 10. fell; 11. ordered; 12. was an exaggeration)