Wednesday, 18 September 2019

Non progressive verbs

Some verbs are not normally used in the progressive (also known as the 'continuous') forms.
  1. Verbs describing mental states: believe, doubt, expect, feel (=think or have an opinion), forget, guess, imagine, intend, know, mean, perceive, realize, recall, recognize, recollect, regard, remember, see (=understand), suppose, think (=be of the opinion, have an opinion), trust, understand.


Examples:
  • Now everybody knows who has made this discovery. 
  • What do you think of the government? (think here = have an opinion) 
  • I feel that would be a foolish thing to do. 
  • I believe her. 
  • He cannot see the joke. (cannot see here = don’t understand…)
  • I see your opinion (see here = understand). 
  • I don’t understand what you are saying. 
◊ Note that when the word 'think' means to be 'trying to form thoughts' rather than 'having an opinion', it can be used in the continuous tense:

  • 'What we do now?' 'Be quiet a minute. I’m thinking.' 
2. Verbs that express feelings and emotions or effects: abhor, adore, appreciate, astonish, care, desire, detest, (dis)like, fear, forgive, hate, impress, loathe, love, mind, prefer, satisfy, value, want, wish:

  • I like cheese but I prefer ice-cream. 
  • He abhors politics. 
  • They hate being late. 
  • I value your opinions. 
3. Verbs that describe something that affects the senses: feel, hear, see, smell, sound, taste:

  • Step aside, we don't see what is written on the blackboard. 
  • That soup smells good. 
  • Do you hear (now) what they are singing? 
◊ Note that when any of these verbs describes an action, it can be used in continuous tense:
  • I am just smelling the flowers; I won’t damage them. 
  • Why are you smelling the meat? Is it bad? 

4. Various other verbs, including many that describe states or relationships between things, etc: appear, apply to, be, belong to, concern, consist of, contain, cost, depend on, deserve, equal, feel, fit, have, hold, include, involve, keep, lack, matter, need, owe, own, possess, presuppose, remain (=stay in the state of), require, resemble, seem, signify, sound, weigh:
  • The same rules apply to everyone. 
  • Those glasses belong to me. 
  • Two and four equals six. 
  • Do you feel well now? 
  • That dress fits you perfectly. 
  • This jar holds three litres of liquid. That seems OK. 
  • The parcel weighs five kilos. (weigh here = have weight) 
◊ Note that many of these verbs can be used in the progressive form when describe actions rather than states:
  • I’m having a bath at the moment. 
  • I am feeling (test) if the water isn't too cold. 
  • The man is weighing the parcel to see how heavy it is. 
  • What is he holding in his hand? 
4. Modal verbs (e. g. must, can, may) have no continuous forms.
◊ Note that 'need' can have future or present perfect continuous (progressive) uses:
  • Will you be needing the car this evening? 
◊◊◊ Sometimes non-progressive verbs are used in progressive forms in order to emphasise the idea of change or development:
  • These days, more and more people are preferring (or ‘prefer’) to take early retirement. 
  • As I get older, I am remembering (or ‘remember’) less and less. 

List of common non-progressive verbs

Grammar page →