Sunday 25 August 2019

Present Perfect Continuous Using

ContentsGrammar in Dialogues → Present Perfect Continuous Using

Learn how to use the Present Perfect Continuous Tense in English. Read on for detailed descriptions and examples from the popular novels that help make grammar rules clear.

 Grammar Explanations:

Present Perfect Continuous expresses:

  1. an action which began before the moment of speaking and continues into it or up to it (see dialogues 1, 2, 3); 
  2. an action which was in progress quite recently and its effect tells on the present situation in some way. The Present Continuous tense in this case is, as a rule, not associated with any indications of time (see dialogues 4, 5).
The Present Perfect Continuous is not common with stative verbs. As a rule in such cases the Present Perfect is used instead of Present Perfect Continuous. See dialogue 6.
Dialogue 1 
Drouet runs into Carrie in the street. He takes her to the old Windsor dining-room, a comfortable place. Carrie has been out of a job for some time. In the morning she borrowed ten cents for breakfast. 

Drouet: So you lost your place because you got sick, eh? What are you going to do now?
Carrie: Look around.
Drouet: Oh, no, that won’t do. How long have you been looking?
Carrie: Four days. Drouet: Think of that!
(Th. Dreiser. Sister Carrie) 

Dialogue 2 
The night is cold and foggy. It’s about eleven o’clock. At the corner of Grosvenor Square and South Audley Street Basil Hallword sees a man passing him in the mist. He recognizes Dorian Gray. 

Basil: Dorian! What an extraordinary piece of luck! I have been waiting for you in your library ever since nine o’clock. Finally I took pity on your tired servant, and told him to go to bed, as he let me out. I’m off to Paris by the midnight train, and I particularly wanted to see you before I left. I thought it was you, or rather your fur coat, as you passed me. But I wasn’t quite sure. Didn’t you recognize me?
Dorian Gray: In this fog, me dear Basil? Why, I can’t even recognize Grosvenor Square. … I am sorry you are going away …

(O. Wilde. The Picture of Dorian Gray) 

Dialogue 3
Nicole, a young gifted girl, is staying at a private clinic in Switzerland. Dick Diver, a promising young doctor, who sympathizes with Nicole talks to the girl about her pastime. 

Nicole: At least this institution has been good for languages. I’ve spoken French with two doctors, and German with the nurses, and Italian, or something like it, with a couple of scrub-women and one of the patients, and I’ve picked up a lot of Spanish from another.
Dick Diver: That’s fine.
Nicole: Music too. Hope you didn’t think I was only interested in ragtime. I practice every day – the last few months I’ve been taking a course in Zurich on the history of music. In fact it was all that kept me going at times – music and the drawing.
(F. S. Fitzgerald. Tender is the Night) 

 Dialogue 4
Senator Brander: Good morning. How do you do today? I thought I’d come out and find where you live. This is a quite comfortable house. How many rooms have you?
Jennie: Five. You’ll have to excuse the looks this morning. We’ve been ironing, and it’s all upset.
Senator Brander: I know. Don’t you think I understand, Jennie? You mustn’t feel nervous about me. You mustn’t think it anything if I come here occasionally. I intend to come. I want to meet your father.
Jennie: Oh, he is out today. 
(Th. Dreiser. Jennie Gerhardt) 

Dialogue 5 
Jennie comes home. As she opens the door she observes her mother’s face. Mrs Gerhardt looks at her, and then turns half away. 

Jennie: What’s the matter, ma? What have you been crying about?
Bass: Pa’s had his hands burned. He’ll be home tomorrow.
Jennie: His hands burned!
Bass: Yes. Jennie: How did it happen?
Bass: A pot of glass was turned over.
(Th. Dreiser. Jennie Gerhardt) 

 Dialogue 6
Wilfrid Desert hasn’t been home for a long time. So he is eager to hear the news. 

Wilfrid Desert: How is Michael? You’re a cousin of his, if I remember.
Dinny: Michael’s all right. Still in the House. …
Desert: And Fleur?
Dinny: Flourishing. Did you know she had a daughter last year?
Desert: Fleur? H’m! That makes two, doesn’t it?
Dinny: Yes, they call this one Catherine.
Dessert: I haven’t been home since 1927. Gosh! It’s a long time …
 (J. Galsworthy. End of the Chapter) 


(C. P. Snow. The Search)