Thursday 30 August 2018

Past Continuous Tense: Dialogues

ContentsGrammar in Dialogues → Past Continuous Tense: Dialogues

Read and understand the following explanations on usage of the Past Continuous Tense (Past Progressive) and then examine illustrative examples from the works of literature.

The Past Continuous Using: Explanations

I. The Past Continuous expresses an action which was going on at a given moment in the past. As a rule, there is no indication on a given past moment, it is implied in the situation. Sometimes it is indicated by stating the precise time or with the help of another action in the Past Indefinite. See dialogues 1, 2.

II. The Past Continuous expresses an action which was going on at a given period of time in the past. The indication of the past period of time is understood from the context or given in the sentence. See dialogues 3, 4.

► Note 1: Two past processes may be fully simultaneous. In this case either the Past Continuous or the Past Indefinite is used in the subordinate clause and the Past Indefinite is normally found in the principal clause. The Past Continuous in both clauses is possible but this use is rare. See dialogue 5.

► Note 2: When two actions are partially simultaneous the action of the subordinate clause serves as a background for the action of the principal clause which is a shorter accomplished action. So the Past Indefinite is used in the principal clause while in the subordinate clause either the Past Indefinite or the Past Continuous is found. See dialogue 6.

III. The Past Continuous expresses an action generally characterizing the person denoted by the subject, bringing out his (her) typical traits. Often, constantly, always are found in this case in the sentence. Such sentences are emotionally coloured. Sentences in the Part Indefinite with the same indications of time are not emotionally coloured. See dialogue 7.

IV. Stative Verbs in the Past Continuous
Stative verbs are generally incompatible with the Past Continuous but in their changed meanings they may be found in the Past Continuous.

a) The verb to be as a linking verb in its basic meaning of “exist” is incompatible with the Past Continuous but in its other meaning of “to behave” it is used in the Past Continuous to characterize the person’s unusual behavior at the given past moment. See dialogue 8.

b) Some stative verbs denoting physical perceptions and mental processes in their basic meaning are incompatible with the Past Continuous (e. g. to see in the meaning of “to have or use the power of sight”; to remember in the meaning of “to have or keep in the memory”, etc.). In their other meanings such stative verbs may be used in the Past Continuous. In the dialogues below to see (home) means “to accompany”, to remember means “to call back to mind the memory of” (dialogues 9, 10).

c) Some stative verbs are used in the Past Continuous to express great intensity of feeling. This use can be found only in highly emotional contexts. See dialogues 11, 12.

 The Past Continuous Using: Extracts from the Famous Works of Literature

I. The Past Continuous expresses an action which was going on at a given moment in the past.

Dialogue 1

 Nick is driving home late from town in the big wagon with Joe Garner and his family. The road comes out into a clearing.
Carl Garner: Right there was where Pa ran over the skunk.
Frank Garner: It was further on.
Joe Garner: … One place is just as good as another o run over the skunk.
Nick: I saw two skunks last night.
Joe Garner: Where?
Nick: Down by the lake. They were looking for dead fish along the beach.
Carl Garner: They were coons probably.
Nick: They were skunks. I guess I know skunks.

(E. Hemingway. Ten Indians)


 Dialogue 2

Larry, Isabel’s young man, gives much time to self-education.

The author: I saw your young man the other day in the club.
Isabel: Oh, did you?
The author: He was reading in the library. I was very much impressed by his power of concentration. He was reading when I went in soon after ten, he was still reading when I went back after lunch and he was reading when I went in again on my way out to dinner.
Isabel: What was he reading?
The author: William James’s Principles of Psychology.

  (W. S. Maugham. The Razor’s Edge)

II The Past Continuous expresses an action which was going on at a given period of time in the past.

Dialogue 3

Caithleen and Baba, two girl-friends, work in Dublin. They live in a boarding-house. One day they invite Eugene Gaillard, a film director, for a cup of tea. The girls introduce Eugene to Gianni, also a lodger of that boarding-house.

Gianni: I come from Milano … You know Italy well? …
Eugene: I worked in Sicily once. We were making a picture there about fishermen and I lived in Palermo for a couple of months.
Gianni: Sicily is not good.

(E. O’Brien. Girl with Green Eyes)

 Dialogue 4

Michael Gosselyn, the manager of the theatre, is talking to Julia Lambert, a great actress, his wife.

Michael Gosselyn: D’you know the prompter says we played nine minutes longer to-night, they laughed so much.
Julia: Seven curtain calls. I thought the public were going on all night.
Michael Gosselyn: Well, you’ve only got to blame yourself, darling. There’s no one in the world who could have given the performance you gave to-night.
Julia: To tell you the truth I was enjoying myself. Christ, I’m hungry. What have we got for supper? Michael Gosselyn: Tripe and onions.
Julia: Oh, how divine!

(W. S. Maugham. Theatre)

For note 1. The Past Continuous expresses an action which was going on at a given period of time in the past. Two past processes are simultaneous. In this case the Past Continuous is used in the principal clause; the Past Indefinite is normally found in the subordinate clause.

Dialogue 5

Rosie offers Daniel a job.

Rosie: Daniel, you are so lazy. … You can paint. You said you could.
Daniel: Not girls.
Rosie: Yes, girls. Any girls. You must have painted some girl or other some time. Goodness, I had a boy once who was an artist and we never had any fun because I was always sitting still while he drew me from a distance.
Daniel: I used to paint a girl once. Yes. … Yes, all right. I will. Anyone got a pencil?

(M. Dickens. Flowers on the Grass)

 Note 2.
The Past Continuous expresses an action which was going on at a given period of time in the past. Two past processes are partially simultaneous: the action of the subordinate clause serves as a background for the action of the principal clause. In this case the Past Indefinite is used in the principal clause; either the Past Indefinite or the Past Continuous is found in the subordinate clause.

Dialogue 6

In his talk with the Inspector Dr Sheppard tries to remember the events of the evening.

Dr Sheppard: Oh!
The Inspector: What is it, doctor?
Dr Sheppard: I met a man this evening – just as I was turning out of the gate. He asked me the way to Fernly Park.
The Inspector: What time would that be?
Dr Sheppard: Just nine o’clock. I heard it chime the hour as I was turning out of the gate.
The Inspector: Can you describe him?

(A. Christie. The Mystery of King’s Abbot)

  III The Past Continuous expresses an action generally characterizing the person denoted by the subject, bringing out his or her typical traits.

Dialogue 7

What Does Being an Artist Mean?

Cousin Mauve: Do you call yourself an artist?
Vincent Van Gogh: Yes.
Cousin Mauve: How absurd. You never sold a picture in your life.
Vincent Van Gogh: Is that what being an artist means – selling? I thought it meant one who was always seeking without absolutely finding. I thought it meant the contrary from ‘I know it, I have found it’. When I say I am an artist, I only mean ‘I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart’.

(I. Stone. Lust for Life)

IV. Stative Verbs in the Past Continuous
a) the verb to be:

Dialogue 8

Mr and Mrs Dersingham come home after a party where Mr Dersingham asked his acquaintance Mr Pearson for a job in the East.

Mrs Dersingham: Oh, don’t be silly, Howard.
Mr Dersingham: I’m not being silly. … You know when I asked Pearson about that job? I suppose you thought I was being funny then, didn’t you?
Mrs Dersingham: I didn’t think you were being particularly funny, though you obviously thought you were. If you want to know what I thought, it was that you were just being rather stupid.

(J. B. Priestley. Angel Pavement)

b) the verbs to see and to remember

Dialogue 9

Pyle, an American in Vietnam, is apologizing to Phuong, a native girl he loves, for having kept her waiting.

Phuong: Where have you been?
Pyle: I was seeing Granger home.
Fowler: Home?

(Gr. Green. The Quiet American)

Dialogue 10

Old Mrs Conway talks to her grown-up children.

Mrs Conway (with malice): You know, Madge, when I think of Gerald Thornton as he is now, a dreary, conceited middle-aged bachelor, I can’t help thinking it’s perhaps a pity you didn’t marry him.
Robin: What, Madge! I never knew you fancied Gerald Thornton. …
Madge: It was true, a long time ago, just after the War. … He had a lot of fine qualities, I thought … I was remembering to-night – when I was looking at him. It came back to me quite quickly.

(J. B. Priestley. Time and the Conways)

c) Some stative verbs express great intensity of feeling in highly emotional contexts.

Dialogue 11

Rosa has come to see Mrs Wingfield. An elderly person opens the door.

The elderly person: I am Miss Foy.
Rosa: Ah!
Miss Foy: Yes! I’m doing the wash-up.
Rosa: I was wanting to speak to Mrs Wingfield. I wonder if that’s convenient?
Miss Foy: She doesn’t expect you.
Rosa: I’m sorry. If it would be easier, I could go away and come again.
Miss Foy: Oh, it doesn’t matter! She’ll be amused to see you. You’d better go straight up. Come in, my dear; that’s right.

(I. Murdoch. The Flight from the Enchanter)

Dialogue 12

Audrey who has been friends with Arthur, a young scientist, for a long time now has left him and married his friend Sheriff. Arthur discusses the vent with his friend Hunt.

Arthur: I’m sorry for her. The thought of what’s ahead of her. It’s distressing me.
Hunt: It needn’t. And of course, it isn’t. At least, not much. What is distressing you is – that she’s gone. That she won’t come back. That she’ll be happy. … You’ll be angry when I tell you that it seems to me – you’re hurt because you’ve lost her; but you’re hurt much more because, in a way, you wanted to lose her, and you’re tormenting yourself with that.
Arthur: That means nothing to me.
Hunt: All through the time you were loving her, you resented yourself for it.

(C. P. Snow. The Search)
  • Visit the 'Continuous Forms' page for rules of this tense. 
  •