Saturday 13 October 2018

Future Continuous Tense: Dialogues

ContentsGrammar in Dialogues → Future Continuous Tense: Dialogues 

Read and understand the following explanations on the usage of the Future Continuous Tense (Future Progressive) and then examine illustrative examples from the works of literature.

The Future Continuous Using: Grammar Explanations


I. The main application of the Future Continuous in modern English is to express an action which the speaker expects to take place in the near future in the normal natural course of events. See dialogues 1, 2.

►Note: The Future Continuous is often used in this meaning with stative verbs which normally do not admit of the Continuous form. See dialogues 3, 4.

II. The Future Continuous expresses an action that will be in progress at a definite future moment. The given future moment is usually indicated by an adverbial modifier or a clause. See dialogues 5, 6.

 The Future Continuous Using: Extracts from the Famous Works of Literature

I.
Dialogue 1
Robert Jordan, an American dynamiter in the republican guerilla camp in the mountains of Spain, is not getting on very well with Pablo, one of the guerillas. Pablo looks for a chance to ruin Robert’s dynamite which is kept outside the cave. To keep watch on it Robert usually sleeps outside. 
It is snowing heavily in the mountains. 

Pablo: You won’t want to sleep outside with the snow falling.
Robert (seeing through Pablo’s intentions): No?
Pablo: No. Very cold. Very wet.
Robert: Then I should sleep in here?
Pablo: Yes.
Robert: Thanks. I’ll be sleeping outside.  
Pablo: In the snow?  
Robert: Yes. In the snow.

(E. Hemingway. For Whom the Bell Tolls) 

Dialogue 2 
The teacher talks to her pupil about the coming summer holidays. 

Miss Brodie: What are you doing for the summer holidays, Rose?  
Rose: My father’s taking me to the Highlands for a fortnight. After that, I don’t know. I suppose I’ll be sitting for Mr Lloyd off and on.
Miss Brodie: Good.

(M. Spark. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie) 

For Note:
Dialogue 3 
Dinny and Wilfrid have arranged to meet at the National Gallery to have a chance to talk on Wilfrid’s poems. Now they’re leaving the gallery and parting. 

Wilfrid: To-morrow’s Sunday. I shall be seeing you!  
Dinny: If you will.  
Wilfrid: What about the Zoo?  
Dinny: No, not the Zoo. I hate cages.  
Wilfrid: Quite right. The Ditch garden near Kensington Palace?  
Dinny: Yes.

(J. Galsworthy. End of the Chapter) 

Dialogue 4
Frank Ashurst and his friend Robert Garton intend to reach Chagford. Ashurst is limping because his football knee hurts him. On the road they meet a young girl who helps them find the way to the nearest farm. By the house door they see a woman, coming towards them. 

Megan: It is Mrs Narracombe, my aunt.  
Ashurst: We met your niece on the road, she thought you might perhaps put us up for the night.  
Mrs Narracombe: Well, I can, if you don’t mind one room. Megan, get the spare room ready, and a bowl of cream. You’ll be wanting tea, I suppose.

 (J. Galsworthy. The Apple Tree)

II
Dialogue 5 
Dinny is ready to give her sister Clare a hand. 

Clare: Do something for me, Dinny. Bring me my things to the Mews.
Dinny: Of course.  
Clare: … I shall be cleaning up when you come with my things. I feel as if I could sleep the clock round, and probably I shan’t sleep a wink.

(J. Galsworthy. End of the Chapter) 

Dialogue 6  
Martin Eden’s manuscripts have been persistently rejected by the editors for two years. Then the tide has turned. Now he’s getting checks for large sums of money and is eager to thank Maria, a poor woman, whose tiny room he’s been renting.

Martin: I want you to come down town with me, Maria, this afternoon – about two o'clock. Or, better, meet me at Fourteenth and Broadway at two o’clock. I’ll be looking out for you. 
(At the appointed time they are at the estate office. Her own landlord is there too, the necessary documents are signed and Maria becomes the owner of the little house in which she has lived for which she has paid rent so long.)
The landlord: Well, Maria, you won’t have to pay me no seven dollars and a half this month. * (Maria is too stunned for speech.) Or next month, or the next, or the next.

(J. London. Martin Eden) 

* Double negation is a sign of illiterate speech.

  • Visit the 'Continuous Forms' page for rules of this tense.